Fix various issues in FileAttachment.objects.get_for_filediff.

Review Request #13538 — Created Feb. 12, 2024 and submitted

Information

Review Board
master

Reviewers

The get_for_filediff method for getting file attachments attached to
diffs had a few major issues that were preventing it from functioning
correctly.

First, it was querying solely based on the repository, file path, and
revision. This meant we could theoretically end up returning
FileAttachment objects which were attached to a different review
request than the given FileDiff. While our database schema
theoretically would allow for a single FileAttachment to be attached to
multiple review requests, in practice everything assumes that it's more
of a foreign key relationship than a many to many relationship.

Second, when a review request is created with commit history, there are
actually multiple FileDiffs that all go into a single changed file. At
the very least, we'll have a FileDiff for the commit and a FileDiff for
the cumulative diff.

When we're posting changes from RBTools, we attach the FileAttachment to
the FileDiff corresponding to the commit. This meant that even though
the file was uploaded, it wasn't visible in the diff viewer because we'd
usually be looking at the cumulative diff.

This change makes it so FileAttachment.objects.get_for_filediff will
first try the simple case, and if that isn't found, it will check to see
if the DiffSet is created with commit history. If that's the case, we'll
look for the most recent FileDiff object corresponding to the given file
and use that instead.

Finally, we mostly were relying on this function to raise
ObjectDoesNotExist, but we also had a case where it could return
None. I've changed it to always return None when there are no
matching file attachments.

  • Made some queries to filediff API resources and saw that the serialized
    attachment fields no longer contained links to file attachments
    connected to other review requests.
  • Posted a change with RBTools that included binary files. Saw that I
    could now see those files in the diff viewer.
  • Ran unit tests.
Summary ID
Fix various issues in FileAttachment.objects.get_for_filediff.
The `get_for_filediff` method for getting file attachments attached to diffs had a few major issues that were preventing it from functioning correctly. First, it was querying solely based on the repository, file path, and revision. This meant we could theoretically end up returning `FileAttachment` objects which were attached to a different review request than the given `FileDiff`. While our database schema theoretically would allow for a single FileAttachment to be attached to multiple review requests, in practice everything assumes that it's more of a foreign key relationship than a many to many relationship. Second, when a review request is created with commit history, there are actually multiple FileDiffs that all go into a single changed file. At the very least, we'll have a FileDiff for the commit and a FileDiff for the cumulative diff. When we're posting changes from RBTools, we attach the FileAttachment to the FileDiff corresponding to the commit. This meant that even though the file was uploaded, it wasn't visible in the diff viewer because we'd usually be looking at the cumulative diff. This change makes it so `FileAttachment.objects.get_for_filediff` will first try the simple case, and if that isn't found, it will check to see if the DiffSet is created with commit history. If that's the case, we'll look for the most recent FileDiff object corresponding to the given file and use that instead. Finally, we mostly were relying on this function to raise `ObjectDoesNotExist`, but we also had a case where it could return `None`. I've changed it to always return `None` when there are no matching file attachments. Testing Done: - Made some queries to filediff API resources and saw that the serialized attachment fields no longer contained links to file attachments connected to other review requests. - Posted a change with RBTools that included binary files. Saw that I could now see those files in the diff viewer. - Ran unit tests.
22281d659f2f85975cbf8130d486136ac20358d4
Description From Last Updated

Can we update unit tests for this, given that there are some notable fixes in here?

chipx86chipx86

line too long (80 > 79 characters) Column: 80 Error code: E501

reviewbotreviewbot

line too long (80 > 79 characters) Column: 80 Error code: E501

reviewbotreviewbot

This function is missing a final explicit return None. It only has an implicit one. In fact, if we have …

chipx86chipx86

Tiny tiny nit, but we should consistently access using .pk instead of .id. They're technically interchangeable, but .pk is considered …

chipx86chipx86
Checks run (1 failed, 1 succeeded)
flake8 failed.
JSHint passed.

flake8

david
maubin
  1. Ship It!
  2. 
      
chipx86
  1. 
      
  2. Can we update unit tests for this, given that there are some notable fixes in here?

    1. There are going to be some more changes to this file. I've got a note to add testing for this once that settles.

  3. reviewboard/attachments/managers.py (Diff revision 2)
     
     

    This function is missing a final explicit return None. It only has an implicit one.

    In fact, if we have one, we can eliminate a few returns.

  4. reviewboard/attachments/managers.py (Diff revision 2)
     
     

    Tiny tiny nit, but we should consistently access using .pk instead of .id. They're technically interchangeable, but .pk is considered the "true" field for the primary key.

  5. 
      
david
chipx86
  1. Ship It!
  2. 
      
david
Review request changed

Status: Closed (submitted)

Change Summary:

Pushed to release-7.x (d7a7e57)
Loading...